Life Lately: Boris Yeltsin and the Tow Truck Incident

So I wouldn't necessarily say that my life has been exciting lately, per say, but it's been... interesting.

I'll start out with where it began last Wednesday. I decided to shoot two shows that night. Why? I don't know. I'm crazy. 

It started at the Showbox SoDo for the James Blake, a.k.a. lanky ginger white guy with the voice of an angel trying to seduce your panties off. Seriously, the guy's voice is pure sex. I managed to get a photo pass for the show the night before, so I was able to go for free thankfully. I'm not a huge fan of SoDo, so I'm never too keen on paying for shows there, especially when they're over $20. I'm cheap.

These are a couple of my favorite shots. There was a lot of dramatic backlighting, but I like that.
After James Blake's set ended around 10 (the doors opened at 7, the opener started at 8 and James Blake started at 9), I drove up to Ballard to see Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

Let me tell you how much I love this band. They are genuinely some of the nicest dudes around. Philip Dickey is the guy you want to be friends with. The first time I saw them was actually as an opener for the Lonely Forest three years ago. At that show I captured a photo of Jonathan that found its way into the album booklet for the band's 2011 b-sides record "Tape Club."

The blue one, that's mine.
If you click through that image and scroll to the bottom of the wikipedia page - MY NAME IS IN IT.
Phil originally emailed me long before Tape Club was released to ask for permission to use the photo and because I was so freaking flattered, of course I said yes. When I saw them for the first time since Tape Club was released two years ago, he was so excited to meet me. I was floored, because rather than me fangirling about someone in a band, that someone in the band was fangirling about me.
This is my life. 

So when I saw that they were coming to Seattle again, I couldn't pass up the chance to see them again. When I got to the venue, I ran into a couple friends of mine that I often see at shows. And I didn't help but feel pretty badass when Phil saw me from the stage and waved frantically. Yes. This is my life.  After their show was over, around 12:15, I walked out to my car, started it, it idled for a couple minutes, then died. 

It just died. I called AAA, they got their an hour later after I sat in the Tractor Tavern until they closed at 1 a.m. I love the Tractor, like a lot. 

The tow truck driver got us on the road around 2 a.m. after loading my car onto the truck, and all was fine until we reached Fife - like 20 minutes away from my house. 

One of his tires blew. And he didn't have a spare. At this point it was almost funny. The world did not want me to get home. Thankfully mom was still up and came to pick me up from the side of the highway at 3 a.m. while the tow truck driver waited for another tow truck to get my car and someone to bring him a spare tire. It was literally the weirdest turn of events ever. 

It all ended fine though, because yesterday Dad and I drove to Mercer Island to pick up Bertie, my new (used) Toyota Corolla. 

Isn't she cute?
She's cute.  And she's all mine. 

So that was my eventful week. The week before I went to go see Ravenna Woods at Neumo's, so here a couple of my favorite shots from that show.
This is my life. Lately.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment